Thursday, February 9, 2006

On resolutions and junking junk...

Quite funny to talk about resolutions in February. But I’ve been meaning to post this a month ago. Just couldn’t find the time.

Resolutions for 2006: read more books. Swear less. Clean more. Drink more water. Clean my car more often. No more procrastinating. Balance saving and spending. Become a gym buff. Learn to bake.
Primary_Logo
I’m not really sure if I can keep these resolutions. But there is one thing I’ve already got going for 2 months. NO TO JUNK FOOD!
big mac
Yes, I’ve been junk-free for the past 60 days. Well, not totally I guess. About 85% or so. I’ve totally quit on all kinds of chips: potato, corn, cheese. I limited myself to an occasional bag of popcorn (salt, no butter) and an order of nachos a month. I have successfully convinced myself that McDonald’s is the enemy.
sundae
Just recently, I quit on rich cakes, chocolate and ice cream, replacing them with Nestle 0% Fat Yogurt and BTIC Sugar Free. (Don’t worry. I will still give in to temptation once in a while. After all, I AM human.) I haven’t hit the gym in two weeks because of my pimples, so I quit on rice and am back to wheat bread and pasta. Breakfast and dinner subsist on bran flakes or low fat wheat cereal and soy milk. Hopefully, I will be committed to this. I can slip once in a while, but I have to stay on track. My reward: the pleasure of always fitting comfortably into my size 26-27 jeans. :)

bran flakes
For all those trying to go on a diet, try replacing your usual cup of rice with a bowl of bran flakes/low-fat wheat flakes during breakfast and dinner. With non-fat milk or soymilk (for the lactose intolerant) and some fruit. It works, at least for me. I no longer have those “bloated” days. And if you can, say no to Doritos, Cheetos, Pringles, Lays, Jack N Jill, Granny Goose, etc.
Doritos chippy
Like smokers trying to quit the habit, there will be days when you just gotta have a bag of chips or go insane. Here’s a technique: wait a few minutes, do something else, then grab some low-fat yogurt in a yummy flavor. Instead of downing 250 calories, you just had less than a hundred. :)
zero fat
Here’s a tip I read in a magazine: if the food you’re about to take makes you feel guilty, then don’t eat it. Let your guilt be your guide. It’s not easy to stay healthy, but it’s so much better to be ALWAYS TRYING TO BE than NOT CARING AT ALL.

No comments: