Wednesday, May 19, 2010

En route to forever...


He called me up in the middle of the night. Was I asleep? Not yet, I told him. I just spoke to my mom about the wedding reception venue. He wanted to drop by and talk. He was feeling sad about a story I told him that night while having dinner. He just needed to see me.

I stepped into his car and we embraced. I was whispering to him in a comforting tone. He looked into my eyes and started to talk. About how he was sorry I didn't have the engagement story that other people wanted to hear. About how he felt sad about it. We've been together for ten years. We broke up, I got hurt. We found each other again. He wanted to do something to show me that I deserve something wonderful. He spoke of how much he loves me. About a realization he had, that it was time for him to surrender to faith - faith in me, faith in our love and faith in God.

"I know that when your friends ask for an engagement story, you tell them we were together, we had a heart to heart talk, and we decided to spend the rest of our lives together. Honey, this is now a story that you can finish..."

He was suddenly holding a small, blue, velvet box. The lovely diamond sparkled as soon as it was uncovered.

"Please make me the proudest and happiest man on earth by becoming my wife. Ann Joy Marie Serrano Asis, I love you. Will you marry me?"

I don't even remember what I said. I just know I was in his arms and I was crying rivers of happy tears. The ring looked so beautiful on my finger.

He wasn't really feeling depressed about the story I told him. He just wanted to catch me off guard. He got out of bed in the middle of the night, knowing that it was already the perfect moment for a simple but most heartfelt proposal.

Then we were at the church. The same church we'd be married in on September 8. The lights were off and everything was quiet. Peaceful. The whole proposal speech was said again. This time, with God as our witness. We held hands and prayed together, entrusting everything to Him.

We've been engaged since last year, officially when we talked and decided to get married in 2010. I didn't need to show a ring. What for? I already had a man beside me who loved me with all his heart and would never stop loving me even after I lose all my teeth and hair. Now, in the middle of all our wedding plans, I got proposed to. So beautifully. I wouldn't have it any other way.

That is my engagement story. No drama, no fanfare, no candlelight and champagne. Just me and him, a peaceful church and a beautiful diamond. It's absolutely perfect.

No comments: