Thursday, May 10, 2007

The shallow minds of men

We are currently looking for new jocks, not "newbies" but those who already have experience in radio. So this girl was interested. She applied and had a meeting with the management. She's been in radio for quite some time already. I knew her name but I haven't met her. Yesterday I had the chance to finally see the girl behind the famous voice. She was very pleasant, with very good english, a lovely voice and a friendly air around her.

So I asked if we were going to give her a try. The answer was NO. Why? Because she did not have that "x-factor." She wasn't attractive. She was FAT.

AND THIS ANGERS ME SO MUCH! The shallow minds of men!

Let me tell you a story.

Six years ago, when Joe D'Mango hired me, I was an incredibly plain-looking girl who did not turn heads or catch the attention of guys. I was fat. My waistline was 29 - 30. I did not wear jeans because they made me look fat. I wore long skirts that fell around my ankles. I wore cheap clothes that were definitely not fashionable. I did not have enough money to buy expensive perfume, or get a facial. My long hair was dry and not shiny. I couldn't even afford to get my nails done every week, so I did them myself.

I don't believe I was ugly, but I WAS DEFINITELY NOT BEAUTIFUL.

But Joe D'Mango hired me. He saw the potential in me. He heard it in my voice, the way I talked, the smooth sound of my english. I wasn't perfect, but I was worth hiring.

Six years after, I am the Assistant Station Manager, and I have a KBP Golden Dove Award to add to my list of achievements. My waistline is 26. I look a hundred times better than when I first walked in the Wave office. I'm not Angelina Jolie, but I sure as hell can make heads turn now.

My point is: WHAT THE F*CK DOES LOOKS HAVE TO DO WITH IT?

Joe D'Mango gave me a chance six years ago. And within that six years, I was not only able to improve myself professionally, I was able to improve how I look. Looks are superficial. It's goddamn easy to give yourself a physical overhaul. It doesn't happen overnight but you can turn yourself from ugly duckling to beautiful swan. But TALENT and SKILL? When you've got what it takes, that will make you stand out, no matter what size your jeans are.

I am so angered by all these shallow decisions being made by the men around me. I am so disappointed. One of these days I know karma will get them. I know that day will come, when the girl I'm talking about loses weight and turns into a supermodel-slash-superjock, she'll walk past the men who ignored her and make them eat her dust. Oh, I definitely want to be there to see that!

No comments: