Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Updates...

During my college years, I was used to the streets of Manila. The dirt, the dust, the traffic, the undisciplined drivers, the pickpockets, the grime-covered kids playing in the sidewalks. Last week I took a trip back. My first time again in like what, four, five years. I went to Robinson’s Place Manila for a remote broadcast. And I found myself staring at the strange place – all new to me. It’s still the same. No improvement. But this time, I wasn’t used to it anymore. When your world is confined to the clean parts of Quezon City, the walkable streets of Ortigas Center, and the busy urban district of Makati, going back to Manila is…well, quite an experience. I decided not to take my car, and later on I realized that was a very good choice. I took a cab home after finishing my work. And while waiting in line, I looked around and saw “rugby” boys hanging out near the jeepney stop, where the MMDA boys were at. Nice, I thought. Police and addicts living harmoniously in this world. While on the road heading back to Ortigas, I noticed that the undisciplined jeepney drivers have not changed over the years. And they probably never will.
I remember the lines from a certain Pinoy song – “Manila…I keep coming back to Manila…Simply no place like Manila.” I beg to disagree.

----------

sideways_dvdcover ingoodcompany_releaseposter
The other night I treated myself to two DVDs and half a pint of BTIC frozen yogurt. I watched Sideways and In Good Company. I enjoyed both. Sideways showed me the two types of men: the childish, sex-trippers and the ones worth loving for the rest of your life. My heart went out to Miles Raymond (Paul Giamatti). I’d go for the failed novelist anytime. In Good Company is simply heartwarming. And although it isn’t always easy to look for someone to share the foxhole with, it’s still nice to watch something that reminds you that life can be wonderful.

----------

After watching my pirated DVDs, I joined my little sister Andrea and watched IKAW ANG LAHAT SA AKIN. I do not like Deither Ocampo. But I like the way Claudine acts. And Bea Alonzo is such a promising actress. Very natural. Never nakakainis. And I like the Bea-John Lloyd love team. Kilig! :)

----------

Heavn_N_
Hon and I tried this new place along Tomas Morato – Heaven N’ Eggs. Nice place. Very good food. A bit pricey, but worth it. I looove their pancakes! :)

----------

It was my sister Andrea’s birthday yesterday. If I’m not mistaken, she turned 14. Happy birthday Bek! Love ya! :)
KR

No comments: