Monday, June 1, 2009

Awaiting the return of the Boy Who Lived

The sixth Harry Potter movie will be hitting the big screen soon. The trailer looks spectacular, and I know a lot of HP fans, myself included, are really looking forward to seeing this flick. To refresh my memory a bit, I re-read my books and finished the fifth one last night. Once again, my heart broke when Sirius Black died, and I was sobbing on my pillow as I leafed through the last pages.


I remember the fifth movie quite well, having seen it on HBO just recently. While the book is undoubtedly better than the film, I liked the execution of Sirius's death better in the movie. But so many important details were taken out, and many changed. That's why if you have not read the books, you will never understand why the rest of the world have all seven of J.K. Rowling's masterpieces on their bookshelves. Nothing short of amazing, she is.

After the tragic loss in the fifth story, another tragedy happens in Half-Blood Prince, which leads to even more tragedies in the last book. So I will be ready with my box of tissues. The 6th movie will be out sometime in July of this year.

A little Half-Blood Prince trivia I found on the net:

Director Guillermo Del Toro turned down the chance to direct this film so he could work on Hellboy II.

Helen McCrory had been cast to play Bellatrix Lestrange in Order of the Phoenix in 2007, but had to back out because she was pregnant. She will play Bellatrix's sister, Narcissa Malfoy in this film. (I think Helena Bonham Carter played Bellatrix quite superbly!)

Naomi Watts was the first choice to play the part of Narcissa Malfoy but dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.

J.K. Rowling read through the script for this film, and found a line where Dumbledore mentions a girl he had a crush on when he was younger. After reading it, she informed the filmmakers that Dumbledore is in fact gay, and that his only romantic infatuation was with the wizard Grindelwald, whom he later had to defeat in a wizard duel. She later made this information public while promoting the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

:)

No comments: